samedi 3 septembre 2016

MTL - NYC - ABU DHABI - HYDERABAD - WARANGAL

My first stop was in NYC, then I was on my way for an 12 hour flight to Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates). First I have to say Etihad airlines was very impressing. Every passenger had a pillow  and a blanket, but also something to cover the eyes, a toothbrush and toothpaste, ear plugs and warm socks. We had our own tv but with a personal remote which, on the other side, was a gaming remote. The  options to kill time  were now infinite! They made sure all the meals suited my requirements and the whole crew was lovely. I would for sure use this airline again if needed and strongly recommend it.

On my arrival to Abu Dhabi, that's where it hits me. I was in minority. I wasn't in colorful India yet. I was in a middle-east  country, around all the women covered with from head to toe with burkas  (which were all very fashion with glitters and embroideries - all very lovely and truly impressive). There  was no doubt, I was surely in minority. A white redhead young  girl traveling alone. I thought: Wow, that's what it feels to be a minority. That’s what it feels to be the stranger. For once I was on the other side of the mirror and it was a very interesting feeling, especially for a girl who wants to work with immigrants.

Sure I traveled before where I was in minority. Most of the time though I  was either with other people, either around other white travellers or either in a occidental country. Now the difference between the culture and mine was stronger and felt more obvious than what I ever experienced.

Then I had another flight, same airline (still very pleasant) and then I was surrounded with the same faces but also with a lot of Indians. I was starting to feel India. Still again I was in minority. I was the only white person I could see. It doesn't mean I felt unwelcome. I  got a lot of smiles especially from kids. I knew it was curiosity. I knew it was far from being mean. And it was fine by me.

Now I am at  Warangal where my intern takes place. Yes. Me, in India. Despite all the differences, I don't feel too much in shock. I feel like I am at the right place at the right moment. The sounds and the smells don't disturb me much (yet – who knows if I'll feel the same after seeing New Delhi.)  It's fascinating.

There I am. In India.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire